Inventory reference ISSN 1812-7231 Klin.inform.telemed. Volume 14, Issue 15, 2019, Pages 00-00
Author(s) V. N. Sokolov1, E. S. Sitnikova2, G. M. Rozhkovskaya1, V. M. Tsvigovsky1, T. K. Dorofeeva1, L. V. Anischenko1, A. A. Korsun1, E. M. Doykova1, A. V. Mudrova2, O. S. Arbatskaya1, D. V. Sokolov1
1Odesa National Medical University, Ukraine
2Regional Clinical Hospital, Odesa, Ukraine
Article title The role of MSCT, MRI, DWI, PET/CT, 3D reconstruction and virtual endoscopy in identification of the pathology of the colon intestine
Introduction. The work is devoted to the diagnosis of colorectal cancer, which today can be described without exaggeration as a global problem. The possible advantages of the combined methods of MSCT, DWI, PET/CT in the diagnosis of various localizations of colon cancer are presented.
Purpose of the study. To establish the role of MSCT, MRI, DWI, PET/CT, 3D reconstruction and virtual endoscopy in the detection of colon pathology, to determine treatment efficacy indicators and criteria for tumor recurrence.
Material and research methods. The capabilities of MSCT colonography, DWI, PET/CT and virtual colonography were compared. 645 patients were examined using these methods, including — 240 with cancer suspicion and 105 with polyps. Scanning results were evaluated using the Colon CT option. PET/CT was performed using 18F-labeled FDG (fluorodeoxyglucose).
Results. Virtual colonoscopy detected 90% of polyps with a diameter of 10 mm or more (with the same accuracy as colonoscopy). However, colonoscopy is not always indicated and can cause complications. The sensitivity of MSCT in the diagnosis of polyps, 6 mm in size, is 90%, during colonoscopy — 99%. With tumor sizes greater than 1 cm, the sensitivity of both methods reaches 100%.
Findings. MSCT colonoscopy is a highly informative method for detecting invasive colon cancer, demonstrating 100% sensitivity and specificity, and 76% for the diagnosis of colon polyps. The use of MSCT can increase the accuracy of preoperative detection of a colon tumor, clarify the stage of the disease, detect tumor recurrence and determine the effectiveness of radiation therapy. DWI-MRI is informative for detecting colon wall invasion or very small screenings in the peritoneum.
Keywords Signal intensity in the MSCT series, DWI, PET/CT, Assessment of the metabolic activity of glucose in tumor tissue
1. Dykan I.N. Radiation research methods in the diagnosis of relapse and metastases of colon cancer and the determination of the effect of antitumor therapy on the digestive system. Abstract. dis. D.Sc. K., 1994, 45 p. (In Rus.).
2. Sokolov V. N., Stepula V. V., Zelenin V. S., Levchuk L. V., Bilenko A. A. Pervichnaya i utochnyayushchaya luchevaya diagnostika zabolevaniy zheludochno-kishechnogo trakta [Primary and clarifying radiation diagnosis of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract]. Odessa. 1998, 207 p. (In Rus.).
3. Sokolov V. N. The use of virtual CT endoscopy of large vessels, bronchi and colon using the "Astenion Super 4" computer tomograph and the "Vitrea-2" station. J. Clin. inform. telemed., 2008, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 37–41. (In Rus.).
4. Sokolov V. N., Sitnikova E. S., Rozhkovskaya G. I., Dorofeeva T. K., Tsvigovsky V. M., Lyubchak M. A., Anischenko L. V. Diffuse-weighted images and PET/CT in the diagnosis of abdominal oncological pathology. J. Clin. inform. telemed. 2017, vol. 12, no. 13, pp. 92–103. (In Rus.).
5. Sokolov V. N., Shavladze Z. N., Evchev F. D., Pilipyuk V. N., Tsvigovsky V. M., Rozhkovskaya G. M., Dorofeeva T. K., Korsun A. A., Anischenko L. V. Malignant tumors of the larynxopharynx and larynx—three-dimensional reconstruction and virtual endoscopy. J. Clin. inform. telemed., 2018, vol. 13, iss. 14, pp. 81–101. (In Rus.).
6. Kolesnik A. Colorectal cancer: modern approaches in the diagnosis and treatment. Health of Ukraine. 2007, no. 11–12, p. 25. (In Rus.).
7. MacIntyr R. B., Stigmann G. V., Aisman B. Algoritmy diagnostiki i lecheniya v khirurgii: rukovodstvo [Algorithms for diagnosis and treatment in surgery: a guide.] Translation from English Ed. Fedorova V. D., Kubyshkina V. A. 2009, 744 p. (In Rus.).
8. Rivkin V. L. Ambulatornaya koloproktologiya: rukovodstvo [Ambulatory coloproctology: a guide]. 2009. 96 p. (Series "Library of a doctor-specialist"). (In Rus.).
9. Atlas abdominal'noy khirurgii. Khirurgiya tonkoy i Tolstoy kishki, pryamoy kishki i anal'noy oblasti [Atlas of abdominal surgery. Surgery of the small and large intestine, rectum and anal region]. Vol. 3. EmilioItala/Medical literature. 2008. 448 p.(In Rus.).
10. Berto M., Los S., Liebau, J. et al. Atlas ambulatornoy khirurgii [Atlas of ambulatory surgery]. Ed. Thomas V. E. G., Senninger N. Transl. from Eng. Ed. Vetsheva S. P., 2009, 272 p. (In Rus.).
11. Cameron J. L., Sandon K. Atlas operativnoy gastroenterologii [Atlas of operative gastroenterology]. Translation from English Ed. A.S. Ermolova. 2009. 560 p. (In Rus.).
12. Kishkun A. A. Biologicheskiy vozrast i stareniye: vozmozhnosti opredeleniya i puti korrektsii: rukovodstvo [Biological age and aging: the possibilities of determining and ways of correction: a guide]. 2008. 976 p. (In Rus.).
13. Johnson C. D., Chen M. QH., Toledano A. Y. et al. Accuracy of CT Colonography for Detection of Large Adenomas and Cancers. N. Engl. J. Med. 2008, no. 359, pp.1207-1217.
14. Pickhardt P. J., Hassan C., Laghi A. et al. Clinical Management of Small (6 to 9mm) Polyps Detected at Screening CT Colonography: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Am. J. Roentgenol. 2008, vol. 191, iss. 5, pp. 1509–1516.
15. Colorectal Cancer Screening. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc., 2009. Ver. 1.2010, 10/23/09.
16. Contraindicated Optical Colonoscopy in Older Patients. Am. J. Roentgenol. 2008, no. 190, iss. 1, pp. 145–150.
17. Johnson C. D., Chen M. H., Toledano A. Y. et al. CTC Screening (Virtual Colonoscopy): Is It Virtually Ready to Replace Optical Colonoscopy. N. Engl. J. Med. 2008, iss. 359, pp. 1207–1217.
18. Pickhardt P. J., Hassan C., Halligan S., Marmo R. Colorectal cancer: CT colonography and colonoscopy for detection-systematic review and meta-analysis. Radiology. 2011, iss. 259, pp. 393–405.
19. Ganeshan D., Elsayes K. M., and Vining D. Virtual colonoscopy: Utility, impact and overview. World J. Radiol. 2013, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 61–67.
Full-text version http://kit-journal.com.ua/en/viewer_en.html?doc/2019_15/003.pdf